tiistai 28. elokuuta 2007

Muistiinpano: rakkaus on aurinko

I used to be a hopeless romantic. I am still a hopeless romantic. I used to believe that love is the highest value. I still believe that love is the highest value. I don't expect to be happy. I don't imagine that I will find love, whatever that means, or that if I do find it, it will make me happy. I don't think of love as the answer or the solution. I think of love as a force of nature - as strong as the sun, as necessary, as impersonal, as gigantic, as impossible, as scorching as it is warming, as drought-making as it is life-giving. And when it bursts out, the planet dies. (Winterson: Lighthousekeeping 2004, 199.)

Mikä muu on aurinko? Kristevan (ja Nervalin) mukaan masennus on aurinko. Tai siis masennuksen alkuperä, menetetty, nimeämätön kohde (Asia) on musta aurinko. Rakkaus puolestaan voi voittaa tuon mustan auringon. Ehkä se sopii asiaan, tuohon Wintersoniinkin.

En pitänyt romaanista aluksi mutta vähitellen se alkoi saada merkityksiä. Romantiikan ajattelu ja luonnontieteet sekoittuvat toisiinsa luomaan mieletöntä maailmanjärjestystä, jossa elämä on elämisen arvoista. Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Darwin, Richard Wagner, nykyhetki. Päädyin siihen, että teos antoi paljonkin.

Ei kommentteja: